Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Things Worth Pursuing

The Greek word dioko has a meaning you might miss when reading the New Testament in English. It is mostly translated as persecute but sometimes it’s translated as practice, pursue or press on. This makes me think of a law enforcer who doggedly pursues a fugitive until he lays hold of him and delivers him to the prosecutor.

Here are some verses that use dioko in these less common ways:
  • Romans 12:13 (NASB95) contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality.
  • Romans 14:19 (NASB95) So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another.
  • 1 Corinthians 14:1 (NASB95) Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy.
  • Philippians 3:12 (NASB95) Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus.
  • Philippians 3:14 (NASB95) I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
  • 1 Timothy 6:11 (NASB95) But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness.
  • Hebrews 12:14 (NASB95) Pursue peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no one will see the Lord.
  • 1 Peter 3:11 (NASB95) “HE MUST TURN AWAY FROM EVIL AND DO GOOD; HE MUST SEEK PEACE AND PURSUE IT.
The verse that hits me in the heart today is Philippians 3:12. That verse is talking about the continual vigorous pursuit to “know Christ and the power of His resurrection…

That verse uses another Greek word that completes the inspiration for me - katalambano (lay hold of). When my pursuit of knowing Christ is complete, I will lay hold of the power of the resurrection, just as Christ Jesus laid hold of me! Wow!

My Savior pursued me vigorously, captured me and bound me to Himself - to deliver me, not to judgment, but from judgment to eternal life full of joy and peace!

That my friend is a goal worth pursuing.

No comments:

Post a Comment