Friday, September 6, 2013

Guide to Apocalyptic Scriptures

After years of study, I put together this timeline that I have used to understand biblical prophecy related to the end times.  I have intentionally put aside the many teachings I have had on this subject and mainly used the Bible as my guideline, checking what I learn from the Bible and the Spirit against those teachings when necessary and fruitful.  I once again must thank the publishers of the Biblehub website for the enormous benefit of having so much information easily available online.
Click image to expand to readable size
I would just add a few notes.  One is my mapping of the "Great Tribulation" to the entire time period from the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70 until the Day of the Lord at the final trumpet.  I did not set out to take such an unconventional view of this term (the "thlipsis megale" in Greek), however after cross-referencing the synoptic accounts in Matthew, Mark and Luke, I came to the conclusion that the "Olivet Discourse" is mostly referring to the end of the Jewish kingdom and the desecration of the temple by the Roman Emperor. After all, this is what the disciples asked about (the destruction of the temple) and what they would be most concerned about in their lifetimes.  This drove me to review the prophecies of Daniel regarding the abomination of desolation and the cessation of the regular sacrifice which were fulfilled at that time and are not mentioned in Revelation.  The tribulation in my view, is great not only in intensity, but also in its breadth (worldwide) and duration over the centuries.  This trying of our souls involves not only endurance through persecution, but also endurance through false prophecy and the mocking wisdom of man.

Of course, Jesus also talks about His second coming after the great tribulation so we cannot take a "post millennial" viewpoint; the balance of scripture still indicates much to come before the great day of judgment.

If you study end time teachings over the years, you will discover that commonly accepted teachings come and go, and change greatly over time.  This is natural, because nobody really knows when the things yet to come will happen, or exactly how.  That part is up to God.  I may change my own view of some of these events, but I have tried diligently to respect the entire teaching of the Bible and only use the tools available to consolidate wisdom and knowledge from the Bible and present it here in a very broad summary.

I hope you enjoy using this for reference, and consider it prayerfully before commenting below!

2 comments:

  1. I was pointed this this verse in Daniel that I did not notice before, which the Jews regard as a prophecy for the Jewish people:
    "Now I have come to explain to you what will happen to your people in the future, for the vision concerns a time yet to come." Daniel 10:14.
    This is confirmation that the remainder of the prophecy is primarily regarding the end of the Jewish nation and the incoming Kingdom of Christ. Prior to Daniel 10 there are prophecies specifically about the final end and the judgment of the Ancient of Days (Daniel 7). I'm going to study that more now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Further study reveals - Chapters 1 and 8-12 are written in Hebrew where the middle of Daniel is written in Chaldean Aramaic. This indicates that chapter 8-12 is focused on what will happen to the Jewish nation. The messianic prophecy of chapter 9 is thus focused on the time from Babylon to the end of the Jewish temple and the desolation of Jerusalem AD 70. Several commentaries confirm.

    ReplyDelete