Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Tending His Sheep

As Jesus prepared for His crucifixion, He appointed Simon Peter to shepherd His disciples, after they were scattered and Peter denied knowing Him. 

"Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has demanded [permission] to sift you like wheat; but I have prayed for you, that your faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned again, strengthen your brothers." Luke 22:31-32 (NASB95)

The scattering of the sheep was the fulfillment of Zechariah's prophecy.

Then Jesus said to them, "You will all fall away because of Me this night, for it is written, 'I WILL STRIKE DOWN THE SHEPHERD, AND THE SHEEP OF THE FLOCK SHALL BE SCATTERED.'
Matthew 26:31 (NASB95)


After Jesus' resurrection, John records this threefold call of Peter to shepherd His flock. Many Bible commentators see this as Peter's restoration following his threefold denial of Christ before the crucifixion. The verses illustrate the tender love of the Chief Shepherd for his followers. I want to point out some words you may have missed in these verses.

John 21:15-17 (NASB95)

15 So when they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me more than these?” He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.” He said to him, “Tend My lambs.” 

  • Love Me - agapas me - Do you love me with dedication?
  • Love You - philo se - I love you with affection 
  • Tend - boske - feed
  • Lambs - ta arnia mou- my lambkins

Little lambkins are cute, soft, easy to lead and feed. They are also easy prey and need special attention from the shepherd.



16 He said to him again a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me?” He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.” He said to him, “Shepherd My sheep.” 

  • Love Me - agapas me - Do you love me with dedication?
  • Love You - philo se - I love you with affection 
  • Shepherd - poimaine - lead, rule
  • Sheep - ta probata mou - my sheep


Sheep are not so cute like lambkins; their wool is scratchy and they might be covered with grass stubble and stickers. They can be stinky and not so cuddly too. Sheep need a shepherd to keep them out of trouble and lead the flock to safe pastures of green grass. They need a strong, courageous shepherd to defend them from wolves.


17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?” And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.” Jesus said to him, “Tend My sheep.”

  • Love Me - philo me - Do you love me with affection?
  • Love You - philo se - I love you with affection 
  • Tend - boske - feed
  • Sheep - ta probata mou - my sheep

Jesus’ third command is most touching, since He asks Peter -as a friend- to tenderly care for those stinky old sheep. That includes the ones that push smaller ones aside to get closer to the Shepherd, the ones that get sidetracked looking for their own greener pastures, even those getting lost and into trouble in the darkness. Not just to rule and lead them, but to care for and feed them.


Peter gives the elders of the early church this advice as he approaches his own prophesied crucifixion:

Therefore, I exhort the elders among you, as your fellow elder and witness of the sufferings of Christ, and a partaker also of the glory that is to be revealed, shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain, but with eagerness; nor yet as lording it over those allotted to your charge, but proving to be examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory. 1 Peter 5:1-4 (NASB95)

The call of Jesus on Peter's life is meant for all shepherds of the Lord's flock, whether the pastor of a large church or the father of a small family. All followers of Christ need an earthly shepherd who models the loving affection of our Lord and Savior Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment